Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Video: The Color Of Beauty


I was browsing on hot French blog Paris Most Wanted when I stumbled upon this video called,
 The Color of Beauty.

It's about the struggle of black model Renee Thompson as she tries and fails to get cast at fashion week. She encounters the typical struggles, designers not wanting to cast models of color and casting agents saying black models won’t sell products.  pssh. The video also goes into the history of women of color in fashion and even references Vogue Italia’s celebrated Black Issue. The conclusion? One photographer summed it up nicely saying, “Fashion has been stuck in 1955, and I don’t know what it’s going to take to move forward." Take a look:

I admire Renee’s drive, and am a total subscriber to the belief, “If you can envision it, you can do it.” I hope to be seeing more of her.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment